Tuesday 30 April 2013

A somewhat sad ending for a wintering EURASIAN BITTERN

Whilst twitching a EURASIAN BITTERN in Bedfordshire yesterday afternoon, I never expected having to take the bird into care - but that's what happened I am afraid....

Met with a bemused Bob Henry, Cliff Tack and Mike Wilkes, I could hardly believe what I was seeing - a BITTERN acting as if it was a Red-throated Diver on a small stretch of water just about capable of holding a Great Crested Newt.......

After two hours barely moving, it was clear something was up and after a determined attempt to catch it, I soon realised it had a broken wing and was not capable of flying (it had seemingly flown into overhead power cables). It was seriously emaciated and in poor condition and swiftly despatched to Aylesbury's St Tiggywinkle's Wildlife Hospital where it was immediately placed on life support.......

Sadly, it was confirmed today that the bird's injuries are so severe it will never fly again and will be kept indefinitely at the hospital's pond.....

See Johnny Lynch's images of the escapade......









The team succeeded - Bittern's in the bag (Cliff Tack, Bob Henry and I seconds after the capture)