Friday 28 October 2011

Devastating News - DAVID ROBERTS passes away

It is with particular sadness that today I learnt of the tragic death of one of my closest birding friends - Lincolnshire birder David Roberts. David and his son Matthew had joined me on my annual Scottish Highlands and Islands tours for at least the past 15 years and had always provided some fantastic entertainment and were incredibly popular with all participants. Although over 70, David was incredibly keen and energetic, and even managed every year to make the climb up Sneachda or Applecross for Ptarmigan. He was just so keen and full of life - and full of interesting snippets and mindful of all rarities seen. I am devastated by his passing - he was a rare gentleman of British birding - and such a kind-hearted and genuine individual. I have shared so many golden moments with him - from the Anglesey Black Lark to perhaps one of the best birding days of all time with the St Mary's Lesser Kestrel - memories that I will cherish forever

My condolescences are sent to Matthew and his mother; David I will never forget you

Lee G R Evans