Follow by Email

Thursday, 19 September 2013


A selection of fabulous shots from David Carr.....

.........and David Campbell's videos below

This juvenile GREAT SNIPE happened upon Kilnsea (East Yorks) on Saturday 14th September when it was discovered by John Cooper in the garden of Warrenby Cottage at the south end of Beacon Lane mid morning. The bird quickly flew to the neighbouring North Field and was then lost. Many hours later, at around 5.00pm, Pete Wragg stumbled upon the same bird on the grass verge just as you enter the Beacon Lane; it flew immediately and appeared to drop in the ditch next to the lane. Pete alerted others of its presence by placing breaking news of it on the Observatory CB system and within ten minutes, some 30 birders were on site. The bird was quickly relocated by the gathering crowd and began showing very well on the edge of the field before it walked back into the ditch. It continued to show very well for an hour or more before flying strongly towards Southfield Farm, on the opposite side of the road. There was no further sign up until dark but at 11.30pm, it was relocated back on the verge as birders were returning back from the Crown & Anchor pub.

Next morning, 30 or so observers gathered at dawn and within a short time, the Great Snipe reappeared in its favoured area in Beacon Lane. People could hardly believe their eyes as it performed down to several yards at times, seemingly oblivious to them. It seemed to be in a healthy state and was taking worms from the grass rather incessantly. On and on it showed and following repeated messages on the News Services, no less than 500 twitchers connected before nightfall. Continuing the same pattern remarkably on the Monday, a further 400 or so visited and enjoyed perhaps the best views they were ever likely to get of this decreasing autumn vagrant and Siberian breeder.

No doubt related to its unusual behaviour, this lone waif was sadly found dead next morning (Tuesday) having seemingly been partially eaten by a predator.